We believe that Better Queensway will be of benefit to the whole of Southend-on-Sea, not just those who will be living in the new development.
We want to create a high-quality, attractive environment that is designed to a high standard and improves people’s quality of life.
Better Queensway will:
- Provide high-quality housing of all types
- Help contribute towards the town’s future housing needs
- Bring significant investment and contribute to unlocking further economic growth in Southend-on-Sea
- Bring a largely vacant site into full use
- Be well-designed, leaving a long-lasting, positive legacy
- Provide public space and safe cycle ways and footpaths through the development, connecting residential properties to the town centre
- Improve access to the town centre and seafront for communities neighbouring Queensway
- Provide local jobs for local people
Better Queensway will provide an attractive place for all people to live, driving further investment in the area.
Southend-on-Sea Borough Council has previously detailed its expectations for the scheme, which will be clearly set out in procurement documents to ensure they are delivered through a partnership with the private sector. These include:
- The demolition of the four existing tower blocks and Sutton Road maisonettes
- A minimum of 441 affordable homes in the scheme
- Assured tenancies, containing the same terms and conditions as existing secure tenancies, for current Queensway tenants moving into new accommodation on site
- Retaining the ‘right to buy’ clause for returning council tenants
- A preference for 1:1 residential parking
- The principle of a community fund to maximise the development’s integration into the community